Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Burnt Toast

Inside joke title that nobody would get since the inside joke is really just inside my head... However, let's continue with this post!

One of the notable things about the 21st century Zeitgeist that I have observed is the lacking of comprehension of something I believe would be obvious to anybody not from our time period. Just because a stereotype or trope is aware of the fact that it is a stereotype does not make it no longer a stereotype. For example, just because an American is fat and aware that it is stereotypical for Americans to be fat, does not make them any less fat. Before you get your panties in a wad, this was just an example. I am not saying that all Americans are fat.

The 21st century is going to have a lot of change, for a multitude of reasons that I may discuss at a later date. However, I will just state the what for now without delving into the why. Keep it mind that - in my opinion at least, which I respect very highly - any sense of nostalgia for the past is generally dismissible. While a select few things about the past may have been slightly better than the present, if the past was entirely better than the present then it would be the present, and not the past. While individual exceptions to the statement I am leading up to exist, generally I suspect that what I'm about to say is correct. As time passes, we are going to make progress. Change is beneficial. Change is inevitable. All we can do is decide whether or not to accept it. I believe something to this extent was said in God Emperor of Dune. (Finished reading said book recently! Amazing! The philosophical concepts were right on my level!) Cultural optimism is something I suspect we are lacking in. Though I suppose that by making this post I am succumbing to the cultural pessimism.
 

A general theme you might be seeing about this post is what I see in our current Zeitgeist and how to change it for the better more thoroughly. That is correct.


Sorry, I had no new artwork and I didn't want to reuse something old, so have this ridiculous drawing.



Cynicism and sarcasm are two big words that describe conversations and thoughts of people today. While not objectively bad, we have become so obsessed with our cynical viewpoint that we have become nearly incapable of processing sincerity. A lack of sincerity in a thing can bring distrust. Distrust may result in mutual lies and deception. However, I believe that sincerity will prevail in spite of this. As for sarcasm, I see it as a verbal act of cynicism.

As you may be able to see, I have undergone significant philosophical growth over the course of the school year. I am almost hesitant to even call it philosophy, for I see it as a love of thinking, rather than a love of knowledge. And no, modesty is not my strong suit. As annoying as it may be to see someone so self-praising, I see anything else as missing the truth. However, if this 'modesty' thing you speak of is refraining from straight-out saying, "I'm amazing" to the masses, I would only do such a thing on the internet.